Campaign Groups to meet with Cabinet Office on Thursday

Latest on the Contaminated Blood Inquiry, Press Statement from Collins Solicitors who are representing Factor 8 Campaign UK and others.

logo.png
CollinsP011217-1.jpg

Collins Solicitors Press Release 1st December 2017

Following approaches made earlier this week by special advisors at No. 10, Collins Solicitors acting on behalf of the campaign groups listed below, welcome the invitation from the Cabinet Office to attend meetings with them next week.

We understand that the Agenda for this meeting will include discussions around the leadership of the Inquiry and its overarching remit.

Des Collins said that:

This is a significant development and we now look forward to the immediate appointment of a Chair in order that we might, on behalf of the campaign groups, make representations regarding the scope and nature of the Terms of Reference, the skill set of any panel member(s) who might sensibly sit with the Chair and the question of Core Participant status

We are all too aware of the problems faced by previous Inquiries and if for this reason alone it is essential that the Chair, when appointed, hears from the campaign groups on these and other key matters.

Having said this we fully accept that before reaching any decisions the Chair will wish to hear from a wide range of stakeholders including, for the avoidance of doubt, the Department of Health, Haemophilia Society and others whose position(s) may have been compromised by actions taken and views adopted over the last 30 years”

Birchgrove Group

Contaminated Blood Public Inquiry

Factor 8 Campaign UK

Manor House Group

Positive Women

Tainted Blood

The Fatherless Generation

The Forgotten Few

Tainted Blood Widows

 ---

Des Collins                                                    

Senior Partner

Collins Solicitors

T) 01923 223 324

dcollins@collinslaw.co.uk

 

Danielle Holliday

Partner

Collins Solicitors

T) 01923 223 324

dholliday@collinslaw.co.uk

BREAKING: Press Statement on Announcement from Cabinet Office

Inquiry-PR-02112017-JPG.jpg

3rd November 2017 – CONTAMINATED BLOOD INQUIRY ANNOUNCEMENT

Factor 8 today welcomes the announcement that the Cabinet Office and not the Department of Health will be the sponsoring department to the Inquiry into the Contaminated Blood Scandal.

We are, however, dismayed and utterly disappointed that this is where today’s announcement ends. Victims and Families have already waited many months for progress on the Inquiry, having endured a seriously extended consultation which ran unnecessarily for nearly 4 months. We find ourselves in despair that a Chair has still not been appointed and that the Inquiry is still not established.

Victims have died during the consultation period, not even sure whether the events leading to their death would be examined in the legally forensic way necessary to get to the truth, namely a full Judge-led Statutory Inquiry; under the 2005 Act.

We need only look to the fantastic work of Justice Krever in Canada as a blueprint for how this setup so well lends itself to the Contaminated Blood Products issue and can reach meaningful conclusions and recommendations.

The Rt. Rev James Jones endorsed the judge led approach in his report this week saying that Mr. Justice Taylor, “got it right” in the Hillsborough Inquiry by finding a number of failings and making recommendations.

We believe too that a judge-led Public Inquiry will be the only effective way of establishing the truth behind the Contaminated Blood Scandal and that there is no reason for any further delay in the appointment of a Chair.

BREAKING: Sky News reporting fresh evidence by Factor 8 Campaign UK

Sky PR 251017-1.png

25th October 2017 – FACTOR 8 CAMPAIGN UK BREAKS FRESH EVIDENCE

Sky News has today broken fresh evidence supplied to them by Factor 8 Campaign UK on the Contaminated Blood Scandal.

The recently unearthed Cabinet Office papers show that a former Secretary of State (John Moore) admitted in 1987 that arguments by victims that the Government’s failure to achieve self-sufficiency in Factor VIII in the 1970’s/1980’s led to Haemophiliacs being infected with HIV were “difficult to refute”. John Moore also says in the documents that the Government had implemented a “policy of not accepting any direct responsibility” and that the Government were seeking to use third parties to handle the issue as it “minimises Government intervention”, the Secretary of State was also somehow aware of legal advice that had been given to those affected.

The pages, which are taken from the Home and Social Affairs Committee's subcommittee on AIDS were published on November 4th 1987.

JJ Evans - “I had tracked down a pack of documents which until earlier this year had been held by HM Treasury concerning AIDS & Haemophiliacs. Five months later after my initial request and repeated reminders, HM Treasury finally made the pack available at the National Archives. Upon searching the file I discovered a small note inside advising that some Cabinet Office papers had been removed, and a handwritten reference number. Under the “30-year rule” the Cabinet Office have released the papers in question, which show that what the Government said privately was much different to the public line. The Government's public line is a false narrative which has continued ever since through to present day.”

FULL STORY: http://news.sky.com/story/contaminated-blood-cover-up-revealed-in-cabinet-papers-11097117